Uncommon Hypnotherapy – Become fluent in indirect hypnotic language and discover how to sidestep the tricky resistances of the conscious mind
If you’re a hypnotherapist, you already know how useful hypnosis is, particularly for anxiety, complex clients or emergency cases.
And if you’re a psychotherapist, counsellor, coach, or other practitioner, you probably want to know what all the fuss is about.
Despite its, shall we say, ‘unusual’ reputation, hypnotherapy is simply a way of tapping into the way the mind already works.
And because you’re working with what nature provided, it’s much easier to help people adopt more useful ways of living.
But there is more than one way of going about hypnosis.
And not only that, but the ‘therapy’ part of ‘hypnotherapy’ right is just as important as the hypnosis itself.
That’s why we have refined more than twenty years of experience delivering hypnosis training into Uncommon Hypnotherapy an online training course both for practitioners learning hypnosis for the first time and for hypnotherapists who are interested in the Uncommon way of doing hypnotherapy.
Hypnosis is the language of hidden ‘inner’ experience
Learning about hypnotic communication, with all its intricacies, really is learning a new language – the language of hidden human experience; the real truth behind what people say and do. And when you become fluent in conversational hypnosis, you gain access to this hidden world.
But it has to be the right sort of hypnosis
These days, hypnosis is often dumbed down into ‘speak softly and order people around’, but it wasn’t always like that. The teachers within tribes, communities, and societies have always understood how to talk so people will listen. And absorb.
So, true hypnotic language isn’t ‘close your eyes and do as I say’. True hypnosis is subtle and indirect language that can be blended into any situation and works artfully with the unique qualities the client brings with them. It’s deeply respectful because without that respect, it won’t work.
Learn to be an artist, rather than painting by numbers
Many hypnotherapy courses will load you down with dozens – if not hundreds – of different inductions. And while scripts can be useful, we need to move beyond that stage quickly if we are to help the greatest number of people.
With the Uncommon Hypnotherapy course, you’ll become fluent in hypnotic language so you can hypnotize anyone in the best way for them to be hypnotized, according to their own unique personality and experience.
See ‘behind the curtain’ of human behaviour
The ‘Uncommon’ psychology you’ll learn from this course will illuminate much more of human behaviour that may have previously seemed weird or unpredictable.
You’ll know which approach and techniques will work best with your client’s problem, upping your success rate and making you a much more confident therapist.
You’ll be able to fine-tune your communication to get the outcomes you want in both the therapy room and your own relationships.
That’s the real beauty in Uncommon Hypnotherapy. And as a bonus, you’ll gain much greater control over your own emotional state, too.
Quickly develop confidence in your therapeutic abilities
Learning conversational, indirect hypnosis is like speaking a language fluently instead of using a phrasebook. If you have a phrasebook, you can get relatively far in a foreign country. You might be able to book a hotel for the night. But as soon as someone asks, “Do you want a view of the river?”, you’re totally lost. When you speak the language fluently, it’s natural and easy to respond.
Access your own unconscious resources
Because the skilled hypnotherapist goes into trance along with their client, they gain access to the full creativity of their unconscious mind.
Ask any therapist who has been able to confidently use hypnosis for any length of time. They’ll tell you that even if they are unsure of how to help a client, the ideas start to flow once the deeply relaxed phase of hypnosis begins.
The values and experience behind Uncommon Hypnotherapy
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is the brainchild of experienced hypnotherapy trainers Mark Tyrrell (that’s me) and Roger Elliott
For ten years, Roger and I taught a solution-focused hypnotherapy diploma at Brighton University in the south of England, before moving our training business online in 2008 in order to reach a worldwide audience.
Roger and I are also the co-founders of Hypnosis Downloads, the world’s busiest hypnosis site. Thousands of hypnotherapists buy our scripts every year, and most are repeat customers. And more than 30,000 practitioners subscribe to my therapy skills newsletter Clear Thinking.
Roger and I work hard to create down-to-earth, simple, and (hopefully) humorous training courses. Our core values:
- We believe in evidence-based psychology and steer well clear of fads.
- We believe in respectful, positive, solution-focused therapy.
- We believe in working in partnership with our clients, helping them draw on the unique resources and skills they already possess.
- We know that most therapists need less complexity and more clear ‘organizing ideas’ to be effective and confident.
Uncommon Hypnotherapy goes way beyond teaching techniques or inductions
In the Uncommon Hypnotherapy course, you’ll learn why the hypnotic state is the optimum state for learning and for changing thinking and behaviour. Based around indirect ‘Ericksonian hypnosis’, the course will give you highly flexible hypnotic language skills.
At the end of the Uncommon Hypnotherapy course, students will know more about hypnosis than the majority of practicing hypnotherapists. Why? Because they will understand the central role of hypnosis in directing human psychology.
Five things you’ll love about Uncommon Hypnotherapy…
1) Learn how to speak conversational hypnosis
Hypnosis is often dumbed down and explained as speaking softly and ordering people around, but that’s missing the point almost entirely. True hypnotic language isn’t ‘close your eyes and do as I say’ but artful, subtle, and indirect.
2) Artfully use hypnosis without scripts
With your new in-depth knowledge of psychology, you’ll know exactly what approach and techniques to use with your clients. No need to find a script that fits the client’s problem because you’ll be able to use hypnosis to treat each client as an individual.
3) Know how to apply hypnosis to a wide range of psychological problems
Uncommon Hypnotherapy comes with 7 short ebooks + 7 videos (we call them Hypnosis Blueprints) written by Mark on how to treat a range of psychological problems with hypnosis. The titles include low self-esteem, anxiety, stress, and hidden conditioning.
4) Watch recorded hypnosis sessions
Being a fly on the wall, watching techniques being performed, is a great way to learn. That’s why Uncommon Hypnotherapy contains several live recordings of hypnosis sessions for you to watch. We’ve also subtitled the videos with what the hypnotherapist is thinking as he or she speaks, so you’ll get an even greater insight into how these approaches are constructed and delivered.
5) Receive a pack of course materials to keep at home
While we’ll give you access to watch and complete the course online for one year, and if you opt for the physical version of the course, you’ll also receive your course workbook and a pack of DVDs that will look good on your bookshelf.
What’s inside the Uncommon Hypnotherapy course
1) 3 hours of hypnosis workshop video
Basic hypnosis courses teach students how to use pre-written hypnosis scripts. This course teaches you how to integrate the language patterns and techniques into your everyday conversation – no scripts required. You will learn how to confidently hypnotize someone and communicate with their unconscious mind as naturally as you would chat to a good friend.
2) Live client session videos of hypnotherapy for severe anxiety
Watch Mark Tyrrell treat a woman for severe anxiety stemming from a violent relationship. This subtitled video includes a follow up session one week later where the client talks about what has improved and why. This is an instructive example of Uncommon Hypnotherapy in action, with the use of fascinating language patterns, metaphors and stories.
3) 9 therapy technique training videos
These short instructional videos were shot with actors to ensure clear communication of the skills being taught. Including voiceover audio and onscreen explanations of what is happening, these videos are a new, cutting-edge therapy training tool.
4) 8 audio lectures on Uncommon Hypnotherapy, with transcripts
As well as the Uncommon Hypnosis course, which contains 3 hours of hypnosis workshop video (that you can also watch online), you get 8 hypnosis lectures given by Mark and Roger and covering:
- How hypnosis is central to understanding human psychology
- Structured hypnotic inductions
- Self-hypnosis and how to help yourself
- Hypnotic language
- Anchoring and pattern matching
- Ways to communicate with a person’s unconscious mind
- Enhancing hypnotic communication
- Your client’s Primal Human Needs and how to use hypnosis to help meet them.
The self-study pack is supported by additional audio, articles, assignments, and tests, all deepening your insight into hypnosis and how you can use it to help others.
5) Subtitled demonstration videos
We’ve subtitled commentary at points throughout the live demonstrations so you know exactly what the hypnotist is thinking as he or she uses different techniques. As well as observing hypnotic phenomena like eyelid catalepsy and hand levitation, you’ll understand how they come about, how to create phenomena, and how they can be used to further therapeutic goals.
6) The 121-page workbook
Guiding you through the Uncommon Hypnotherapy video is our 121-page booklet (sent to you by post if you opt for the physical version, and also available online in PDF format) there for resources and reference. It has transcripts of the video and audio lectures, so if you’re more of a reader than a watcher or if you just need to check something, then the book is there for you. Be sure to tick off your learning checklist as you go!
7) How to approach specific issues with hypnosis: 7 ebooks and over 2 hours of video
While every client is different, there are certain approaches that work very well for certain conditions. Our 7 Hypnosis Blueprints (ebook + video guides) will guide you through psychotherapeutic approaches you can use to help your clients (or yourself!). Learn how to use hypnosis to…
- Overcome procrastination
- Perform at the ‘alpha’ level
- Understand yourself and others
- Build self-confidence
- Overcome fear and anxiety
- Eradicate hidden conditioning
- Be more persuasive and influential.
8) Peaceful Moments hypnosis inductions with marked-up scripts
Peaceful Moments is our popular program that hypnotically leads the listener into a deep and restful trance state using four different inductions, each around 15 minutes long. We’ll give you the annotated scripts, as well as the audio program, so you can see what techniques and effects are being used in the language. Feedback from our students over the years has shown this is a very effective way to learn.
Still not sure what hypnosis is?
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is… subtle and indirect
- The difference between old-style, authoritarian, ‘you are getting sleepy’ hypnosis and modern, indirect, Ericksonian, ‘conversational’ hypnosis.
- How to get around resistant types.
- The remarkable power of expectation and how to harness it in therapy.
- How to embed suggestions in conversation.
- How expectancy creates post-hypnotic suggestion or pattern matching.
- The perfect amount of eye contact for maximum believability.
- How your emotional state filters incoming information and how you can use this.
- How to influence without bossing people around.
- How to use presupposition to create a new psychological blueprint.
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is… word magic
- How to create therapeutic post-hypnotic suggestions.
- Why telling people they are wonderful doesn’t work and what to do instead.
- How to use ‘sleight of mouth’ to get your message considered.
- How to give people choice but still get the outcome they need.
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is… deep insights into the human mind
- The fundamental principle of unconscious pattern matching and the insights it gives us into emotional problems – such as phobias or addictions – and all human behaviour.
- Razor-sharp insights into the function of the unconscious mind and how it developed.
- What the conscious mind is best for and what to leave to the unconscious.
- When focusing on problems can make things worse and how to focus beyond the problem.
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is… performance-maximizing knowledge
- Immediately get beyond the ‘reading scripts’ stage where so many hypnotherapists get stuck.
- Why the imagination is as powerful as reality – and how to use this in hypnosis.
- Why learning hypnosis is the quickest way to solve problems or improve performance.
- The different types of trance and how to spot them in others.
- How to maximize your success hypnotizing others.
- Demonstration of arm levitation phenomenon and why it happens.
Uncommon Hypnotherapy is… the real deal (no scripts necessary)
- The reason for the old watch-swinging technique – why it worked (sometimes!).
- Find out what hypnosis actually is and how it is connected to the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) state of sleep.
- Why catalepsy (paralysis) occurs in hypnosis and how to encourage it.
- Different ways of entering hypnosis – progressive relaxation or the shock tactics of stage hypnosis – and why these use the same mechanism.
- Why you must be flexible to use hypnosis well.
- Milton Erickson’s utilization principle of changing the approach to fit the subject – so you can be successful with anyone.
- Demonstration of a naturalistic induction – the utilization principle in action.
90-day money back guarantee
If you’re not happy with the quality of Uncommon Hypnotherapy, just let us know within three months of purchasing it and you will get a full refund. We have such faith in our products that we’re happy to offer this 90-day guarantee period for all of them.
Testimonials from previous delegates
These testimonials come from happy customers who bought our Hypnosis Unwrapped course. Uncommon Hypnotherapy contains all the content from Hypnosis Unwrapped, as well as a lot more information and training.
I loved this course. Thanks so much. Mark, I love your ease with words – your grace with language and your ability to hone in on just what your clients need. That’s what I got most out of the course… how much more effective the process is when you throw away the script and listen to the client from the heart and head!
I’ve been doing intuitive readings for years via email and in person, and have had many clients tell me that something I said – or wrote – prompted tremendous change. Yet I still struggled to write a “perfect script” during my hypnosis sections and healing groups. Not any more. Thanks for opening my eyes to a “new way.” I am inspired by you (and Roger) as much as by the material itself and have made it my goal to develop the same conversational facility in hypnotherapy that you have over the next year or so.
I’ve had many hypnotherapy teachers over the year and always left the course feeling that something was missing, prompting me to read endlessly on my own. You were the first one to make me sit up and say, “YES! This is the way.” I’m working on my healing group flyer now and am inspired to move away from intuitive readings/alternative healing towards hypnosis largely thanks to all of the seeds that you planted. Kudos!
My degree in Psychology is from the University of Tulsa, and I have been a Reiki Master Teacher since 2007.
I am as passionate about hypnosis and the unrealized potential of the mind as your practitioners, and I was delighted to find a course that gives a comprehensive explanation of what hypnosis is, with lots of supplementary materials to expand the course content, and with several demonstrations that show clearly the techniques being taught.
I look forward to reviewing the materials, both on-and off-line, and applying my new knowledge with my clients.
I have just completed the course, and have LOVED it. I found having finished the one before this (Uncommon Hypnosis), helped tremendously with completing this course more quickly than I anticipated, so that’s great. It means I’ve retained the information from the first course, which this one reflected upon.
I’m very pleased and very happy with the courses through Uncommon Knowledge. I found the courses so professional, interesting and informative. Again, I love being able to watch the videos or listen to the MP3’s, and pause or stop them to write notes, or go back over. I truly feel it’s a better way to learn, as opposed to a classroom where even an outside noise/distraction can have students missing a vital piece of information. This way it’s all here for me and I can go back over it whenever I like. Marvellous!!!
I commence my Diploma in Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy tomorrow, so thank goodness I have all this wonderful background and information. I am positive it will help me to become an even better Clinical Hypnotherapist, that I can use in my Business: Tammy’s Tarot and Healing (which is all about healing and helping people through guidance and assistance).. mostly Reiki/Reflexology, Tarot and shortly hypnotherapy. It’s been a true pleasure connecting with Uncommon Knowledge. Thank you.
When potential Uncommon Hypnotherapy clients are deciding on taking this wonderful course, I suggest that they look at ALL of the additional efforts that Roger and Mark make and ask themselves if competitors do the following:
1) Once you’re done with the course and they have your money, do they give you the opportunity to respond to a survey that asks your honest opinion on how to IMPROVE their course(s) to better serve you?
2) Do the course creators provide the ability to communicate with them through the course’s portal while you’re actually taking the course?
3) After they have received your money, do they make sure that all of your questions and concerns are addressed within 24-48 hours on average, world-wide?
4) Do they consider that people learn using different modalities so they include materials that are visual, auditory and Kinesthetic?
Most potential clients will not be able to answer yes to most of these questions pertaining to other courses.
But guess what… Roger and Mark hit ALL of the above points and then some!
I write this testimonial because I have never, until now, experienced the level of sincere kindness, professionalism, integrity, and attention Mark and his staff have shown me. With them, I feel as if I actually matter as a client.
I welcome all to join me, and possibly thousands of others, in learning invaluable skills that can touch lives.
I was hesitant at first over the cost of the course. After taking the plunge, I was impressed by the amount of material made available to me. The resources seemed endless, I got so much more than I expected. I’m looking forward to the next one!
Thank you all at Uncommon Knowledge for a very well produced, valuable, enlightening, and inspiring course. As a practising Clinical Hypnotherapist and Naturopath, your course was a great refresher and reminder of many tools and skills of therapeutic practise along with some new (to me) simple and practical ones as well. I also enjoy the tone, generosity, and integrity of your company with so many free and helpful tips and downloads. I will continue to spread the word amongst my colleagues and friends. I also feel so much more confidence with the technical side of doing an online course. Your website and structures were so easy for me to ‘get around’. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Wow… what to say first. I suppose thank you! I’ve done this course over the period of a week and what a week it has been. Here is just the tip of my iceberg:
(1) I never realised what level of physical and mental stress I was operating at daily until I started to go deeper into a self-hypnosis practice (four days so far… feeling very good).
(2) I was previously helping a friend with PTSD to sleep as she was incredibly sensitive to distractions during the night (neighbours, snoring, things in the house that go bump [or creak])… but on a nightly basis. Thanks to this course, and the confidence to expand my boundaries, I gave her a metaphorical story about a cute cat being terrified of the mailman, feeling bangs through the floor, and sounds from outside… and then there was an wise owl on the windowsill saying, “What are you doing?” and… well, not enough space for the rest of the story, but needless to say it’s had amazing effect so far, three restful nights sleep with no assistance.
(3) This course has opened my eyes to self-improvement in a new way… where you really get to say, “Who do I want to be? How do I want to react?” For me, I’m starting by choosing to connect to people I’ve too easily disconnected from and designing the habits that keep me in touch with them out of genuine interest and care.
And just to top it off, my sense of humour flows quicker and I’m finding my creative mind is giving me new ways to look at things I’ve already experienced, things I’ve yet to experience in the physical form, and even things I’m experiencing in the face of strong emotion.
So, thank you Mark, thank you Roger and the excellent team you’re working with… this is an excellent course, even for the non-practitioner. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone who was focused on delivering therapeutic results safely and effectively.
This is one of the most useful, enjoyable, interesting, and fun courses I have taken in my life. And I have done a lot of studying. This knowledge and these skills will be so good to have, not just for my work as a psychotherapist but also for me personally and in my relationships. The structure and build-up of the course are great, and I enjoyed the lectures very much. Nice to have a transcript as well. So thank you!